Sunday 4 September 2016

Par-La-Ville Gardens, Hamilton

Par-La-Ville Gardens is a lovely piece of tranquility in Hamilton the capitol of Bermuda.. I always enter it from Queen Street. To the right of the entrance is the Perot Post Office and Par-La-Ville House where the famous Perot lived. He actually planned the park. It's now home to the Bermuda Library and the Bermuda Historical Society Museum. I must admit I haven't visited it yet.
 To the left of the entrance is  the popular Lemon Tree Cafe. When I first visited Bermuda with my mum, we always used to lunch there. They had an outside area which was more or less in the Gardens.

The park was renamed Queen Elizabeth Park in 2012 in commemoration of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, but for me, it will always be Par-La-Ville Gardens.


 Here's No. 224 in the Yankee linen series. When I visit again in May I shall have to see if this view still exists!


Here's No. 104 in the Yankee Store & Bermuda Drug Co linen series.


And below, some photos taken in June 2013.





Here's a photo from June 2012 of the Perot Post Office. I must remember that it much more convenient than the main post office when buying the stamps for my postcards!
To the left you'll see the entrance to Par-La-Ville.




And here's a closer one I've found from 2002.


I've just found out that for a while this was the the Little Green Shop, run by the Tucker sisters, Ethel and Kate who painted a series of lovely postcards that they would have sold in the shop (and which I am collecting). They actually opened the earliest souvenir and gift shop in Bermuda also in Queen Street, but moved in 1915 to what is now the Perot Post Office.
The Little Green Shop remained open until 22nd February 1958 when the sisters  decided it was time to wind up the business, and the building reverted  to it's earlier status as the Perot Post Office.

Below are some photos taken in 2007 of Par-La-Ville.





7 comments:

  1. Great old Bermuda Postcards! If you are on Facebook - I suggest you search for, and ask to join the FB Group - "Old Bermuda, etc." You may find, or can request, assistance or information on your cards from the Group. Acceptance isn't immediate - and it is a closed group - but great source for Bermuda infrmation.
    Gerri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gerri! Recognise your name from the Facebook group! Yes I am already a member! Really keep meaning to add more cards!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gerri! Love your blog. I, too, have started my Tucker postcard collection. I must tell you that the l2016 hurricane completely uprooted some trees around the park benches in your 2007 Par-La-Ville park and stripped the blossoming trees of their flowers, but the fish in the pond (picture three) were unscathed.

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Maureen! Nice to hear from you but this isn't Gerri's blog, but mine.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Enjoy the information. I collect stamps & vintage postcards of Bermuda. Thanks, Craig

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Craig! I keep meaning to add more postcards, but I keep forgetting. Do you live in Bermuda? or have you visited? it's a beautiful place!If you are on Facebook, there is a very interesting group you could join which discusses and posts photos and vintage postcards of Bermuda. It's called Old Bermuda: Our Island, Our History

      Delete
  6. Hi, I live in the Arizona desert near Scottsdale.I visited Bermuda in 1980 on my honeymoon.I lived near the ocean for 45 years in New Jersey.Thanks again for your postings. Craig

    ReplyDelete