Thursday 8 September 2016

Hotel Buena Vista, Paget, Bermuda

Here's a hotel that no longer exists, which is a shame.



It's the Buena Vista, which was situated on Harbour Road in Paget.
The card is No. 280 and was published by Yankee Store, Bermuda.
Seemingly, the hotel was in a marvellous location on Harbour Road, with wonderful views of downtown Hamilton (the capital of Bermuda). It had it's own little beach and dock  just across the road. It also had on-road and off-road parking and easy access to the Lower Ferry stop on the Warwick/Paget public ferry route to Hamilton.
If that's the case, one wonders why it's owner wasn't able to sell it as a going concern when she decided it was too much work to look after and was also in serious need of renovation.
Eventually it was sold and the building used as housing for employees of the business which bought it. Unfortunately it seems that only the barest minimum work was done to the property and it has a rundown feel about it nowadays.
I've never visited Harbour Road, but plan to do so next May. I must see if I can find this building and take a photo of it.


Here's a picture of Lower Ferry - it's on the ferry route used by workers employed in Hamilton, and the guests of any of the hotels and guest houses along Harbour Road.
There are another four ferry stops on this route - Hodsdon's Ferry, Salt Kettle, Darrell's Wharf and Belmont Ferry.

This postcard really shouldn't be here. It should really be in my other blog, which concentrates on the postcards of the Tucker sisters. 
However since I have mentioned Hodsdon's Ferry, I thought I would post it anyway!
I'm sure there are a lot more picturesque Bermuda homes now than when this postcard was painted!
It's No. 95 in the series of postcards painted by Ethel and Kate Tucker. This particular card must have been printed after 1962 as it was published by C.F.Tucker, Paget, Bermuda. (Ethel died in 1962). It was printed in England by J. Salmon Ltd of Sevenoaks.
This is definitely one of the much more recent cards as it is postmarked 1971.

Since this original post, I have found out that the house is called "The Moorings" and it's on Harbour Road. I will try and find an up to date photo of it.

In this case the stamp hasn't been soaked off - 


The set of flower definitives to which this particular stamp belongs were issued from 1970 to 1975.

3 comments:

  1. The Buena Vista Guest House in Bermuda played an important role in my life. It was summer 1957,and two of my former Nursing school grads. and I flew to Bermuda,{It was recommended by our local travel agent, as was the Buena Vista.) The owners were so hospitable and suggested the lounge at the local Inverurie hotel meet young people and enjoy the music.That"s where I met my husband.He was a US Naval officer,and his ship had just docked.It was our our first night in Bermuda.We had two evenings together and promised to write each other.He was from Wisconsin,and I from Canada. We were married at Thanksgiving in 1958,and had seven children. My husband asked me several times if I would like to go back to Bermuda, but I preferred to remember as it was.Beautiful Bermuda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story! I stayed there with my girlfriend during spring break in my senior year of high school. First time flying. Great trip. Beautiful guest house. I remember the gong would sound when it was meal time. Wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was back in 1974 for reference.

      Delete